Cairnwood Book Club
VIRTUAL MEETING Tuesday, March 30 at 7:30pm
Open to everyone! Join us via ZOOM.
- Free admission;
click HERE to join the discussionMeeting ID: 822 1758 7379Passcode: 753018
- Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by: Countess Fiona Carnarvon
The real-life inspiration and setting for the Emmy Award-winning Downton Abbey, Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey tells the story behind Highclere Castle and the life of one of its most famous inhabitants, Lady Almina, the 5th Countess of Carnarvon.
Drawing on a rich store of materials from the archives of Highclere Castle, including diaries, letters, and photographs, the current Lady Carnarvon has written a transporting story of this fabled home on the brink of war. Much like her Masterpiece Classic counterpart, Lady Cora Crawley, Lady Almina was the daughter of a wealthy industrialist, Alfred de Rothschild, who married his daughter off at a young age, her dowry serving as the crucial link in the effort to preserve the Earl of Carnarvon’s ancestral home. Throwing open the doors of Highclere Castle to tend to the wounded of World War I, Lady Almina distinguished herself as a brave and remarkable woman.
This rich tale contrasts the splendor of Edwardian life in a great house against the backdrop of the First World War and offers an inspiring and revealing picture of the woman at the center of the history of Highclere Castle.
Guided History Tour
Tuesday – Sunday at 11am & 2pm
Learn the Personal History of this Grand Beaux Arts Country House!
Guided tours of Cairnwood Estate reveal the personal history of this grand Beaux Arts country house. Tour participants discover the private side of the family and its integral role in founding the Bryn Athyn community. Tours include visiting the Garden House, Main House, Chapel, the servant’s wing, and the Carriage House. Members – please call to receive your free tour(s). Fundraising and Outreach Activities proudly hosted by Cairn Club, LLC
- Every tour is private with just your personal household family and friends (2-person minimum, 8-person maximum).
- General Admission: Adult (Ages 18-64): $12; Student (Ages 7-17): $10; Senior (Ages 65+): $10
- Tours are available ~ Tuesday – Sunday at at 11:00am & 2:00pm
- Duration: 1.5 hours
- Purchasing tickets in advance is required.
- Call 215-947-2004 or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your tour
Mother’s Day Tea on the Terrace
Sunday, May 9th at 10am, 1pm & 4pm
Celebrate Mom while enjoying a traditional outdoor tea service!! Afternoon Tea is unmistakably a truly Victorian custom known worldwide, with origins in 19th century England. Take in the gardens and grounds of Cairnwood and join us for tea on our outdoor 100 foot bluestone terrace!
- Premium teas by master blender Harney & Sons
Traditional tea sandwiches, Soup du jour and seasonal salad
Family style petit fours, Scones with clotted cream and jams
- Adults: $55; Children (Ages 10 and under) $25.00
- Duration: 1.5 hours
- Advance reservations are required.
- Call 215-947-2004 or contact us at email@example.com
Tables can seat up to 6 guests. Your party of 2-6 will be seated at your own private table. For groups of 6 or more, please call us to make arrangements. Space is limited and reservations are required. Book now to reserve your place for this special Mother’s Day event!
Be Our Guest Ball
COMING SPRING 2022!
An enchanted fundraiser supporting Cairnwood and ANC Performing Arts. Inspired by the tale as old at time – Beauty & the Beast, this event will feature student performers, live entertainment, show-stopping food stations, a silent auction, and some whimsical surprises!
- Refreshments sponsored by Sage Catering
- Beer, wine, & signature drinks included.
- $100 per person; $50 guests under 35 years of age.
- Cocktail attire
- Space is limited; reservations required